Emilio Segrè Visual Archives

More than 30,000 photos of scientists and their work

University of Chicago H7

Share This

Share/Save

University of Chicago H7

How will you use this image ?
Select one of the following options.
Individual Use
Not-for-profit Use
For-profit Use (educational only)
Not sure yet

We charge a usage fee per photo if the photo is published, reproduced in a product or publicly exhibited. This is not a license in the legal sense. As a non-profit institution, we do not make any money providing these photographs. It is only by assessing usage fees that we are able to cover the cost of providing publication quality copies of our photos, preserving the photograph collection according to archival standards, and providing access to the collection by maintaining an online image database. The copyright holder may charge a fee in addition to our service fee.

Images are for use in educational projects only and must be used in a respectful manner.

$20.00
Image title: 
Nuclear reactor graphite block
Credit line: 
Argonne National Laboratory, courtesy of AIP Emilio Segrè Visual Archives
Description: 

Graphite-block base of the world's first nuclear reactor assembled in a racquets court under the West Stands of Stagg Field at The University of Chicago during October and November, 1942. Visible in the photograph are graphite layers 2 and 3. Starting with layer 6, alternate courses of graphite, containing uranium-metal and/or uraniumoxidefuel, were separated by layers of solid graphite blocks. The completed structure was 57 layers high. On December 2, 1942, the pile (reactor) reached criticality and the chain reaction became self sustaining, thereby initiating the controlled release of nuclear energy. The experiment was conducted by a group of scientists led by the late Enrico Fermi.

Original format: 
1 photographic print (black and white; 8.5 x 11 inches)
Category: