All orders for digital scans of the photographs in this collection, and for the associated use fees for permission to use in publications or productions, should be placed online.
- How do I purchase photographs?
- How fast can I get the digital scan?
- How can I find a specific photograph?
- Who do I contact if I have problems?
- Do I have to pay with a credit card?
- What if I need an invoice to submit to my institution for payment?
- What if I lost the digital scan file and need it again?
- I need to pay a Use fee for a photo I bought only the Digital Scan of. How do I pay for the Use fee?
Use Fees and Permissions
- How do I get the permission paperwork for publishing these images?
- Do I have to pay both a digital scan fee and a use fee?
Questions about ordering
All orders for digital scans of the photographs in this collection, and for the associated use fees for permission to use in publications or productions, should be placed online. (See also: Questions about payment)
The digital scan will be available for download via a link at the end of the ordering process. The purchased digital scan will also be stored under "My Account" < "My Images"
All photos of a given person use the same spelling for the name. Many photographs have descriptions that contain standardized keywords. For example, entering “blackboard” in the Keyword search box will return all our photos of scientists at blackboards. Filtering your results by keyword, category and collections are available on the right sidebar of the search results.
If you know the exact catalog number of a photograph you wish to purchase (e.g., Bohr Niels B3; Abastumani Observatory H1), you can enter this information in the “Search” box located at the center of the home page in the gray bar to find that specific photo.
If you encounter problems ordering, or cannot find a photograph, you can contact the Photo Librarian by phone (1-301-209-3184) or email (photos [at] aip.org) for the quickest response.
American Institute of Physics
Emilio Segre Visual Archives
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740
Yes, payment can only be made by credit card. An email containing a download image link will appear on a confirmation page as soon as the payment is complete. You may need to log in to your account to complete the download.
The email receipt at the end of your order can be used as the invoice. SEE ALSO: Do I have to pay with a credit card?
If you need to download the image AGAIN for any reason, the link is available by logging into your account and selecting the link for "My Account" < "My Images" then selecting “Download”.
I need to pay a use fee for a photo I only bought the digital scan of. How do I pay for the use fee?
If you have selected the Use fee of “I don’t know yet how I want to use it” and want to update your Use fee status, begin by logging in to your account.
- Log in by clicking “My account”, located on the right side bar
- Once logged in, click on “My Images” tab
- Select the title of the photo to update the usage fee. This will bring you to the display page
- Select the green button, “Pay usage fee for this image"
- Select your Use fee and click the green button, “Continue”
- This will take you to your shopping cart. Select “Update Cart”, then select “Checkout”
Questions about Use Fees and Permissions
If you are paying our use fees, the receipt at the end of your order contains all the permission information we are able to provide. Since we do not claim copyright to all of the images in our collection, we cannot sign any outside permission forms. Please be advised that the Emilio Segrè Visual Archives will not sign any publishers' forms or any legal contracts pertaining to the use of our images.
The fee for providing a digital scan, and the use fee, are two different things. They can be paid for separately if needed. The use fee ranges from $0.00 for private use to higher fees for use of the photographs in educational publications, media or Web productions, or any other widely viewed public venue. These fees help support our efforts, as a non-profit organization, to preserve the photographs and make them conveniently accessible for educational use in this online catalog.
You can order a digital scan with zero use fee for comping purposes if the thumbnails on our website are not high enough resolution, however the digital scan fee still applies. You can return and pay the use fee later when you know for certain which images are being used in your project. SEE ALSO: How do I order photographs?
For information on our use fees and use policy, please see these pages on Prices and Use Policy. SEE ALSO: How do I order photographs?